Choosing your payment method for selling costs for managed payments
When eBay manages your payments, you’ll need to set up a valid payment method to cover your selling costs when the proceeds from your sales are insufficient. A valid payment method includes a debit or credit card.
The information on this page applies only to customers who live in Malaysia, Singapore, or the Philippines. Customers who live outside these locations should read our article on Choosing your payment method for selling costs for managed payments.
When eBay manages your payments, we will deduct eBay fees and other selling costs from your funds awaiting payout. If your funds are not sufficient to cover these amounts, we will charge your on-file payment method within 14 days. We may add up the amounts you owe into a single charge.
If you haven't selected a valid payment method for selling costs, or if your payment is unsuccessful, we may attempt to charge another on-file payment method for any outstanding amount you owe eBay. Additionally, if you don't have a valid payment method set up for selling costs, your selling activity could be affected. Read more about why it’s important to have a valid payment method set up.
You can set up a preferred payment method so selling costs are charged to the method of your choice.
Adding or updating your payment method for selling costs
You can add or update a payment method to pay your selling costs, and choose it as your preferred method.
You can choose to use a credit card or debit card (except a prepaid card).Adding a new payment method
To add a new payment method for selling costs:
Selecting an existing payment method
- Go to Payments in My eBay.
- Select Add payment option.
- Under Select payment option, select Credit card.
- Select Continue, enter your credit card information, and select Continue.
- Select Preferred for selling costs, and then select Add.
- If you don’t want this to be your preferred payment method, skip this step
To select one of your existing payment methods as your preferred method for selling costs:
- Go to Payments in My eBay.
- Under Payment options, select Manage beneath the on-file payment method you would like to use.
- Select Preferred for selling costs.
- Select Done.
If an on-file payment method doesn’t have Manage as an option, this could be because it is not eligible as a preferred payment method or has expired.Why you need a valid payment method
If you haven’t chosen a preferred payment method, you still must have a valid on-file payment method to cover your selling costs, in case your sales proceeds are insufficient.
The following issues may occur if your payment method is not set up correctly, or fails:
- If your payment method for selling costs is declined or you don’t have an on-file payment method set up, we may suspend or place a hold on your account until the outstanding amount is paid in full
- If you haven’t selected a payment method for selling costs, or if your payment is unsuccessful, we may attempt to charge another on-file payment method for any outstanding amount you owe eBay
- If we need to remove your payment method for any reason and you do not have another on-file payment method to cover your selling costs, you’ll need to add a new payment method
When eBay manages your payments, most of your selling costs are deducted before your payout is initiated. If your funds awaiting payout are insufficient to cover your selling costs, we’ll charge the outstanding amount owed from your on-file payment method.
Selling costs include your selling fees and other charges, and may include but are not limited to:
- eBay fees, including insertion fees, final value fees, international fees, ad fees, and other fees
- Store subscriptions
- eBay Money Back Guarantee refunds
- Payment dispute refunds